Friday, April 29, 2011

Oaxacan Wood Sculptures






Last month I started a long-term substitute teaching position at North Lakes Academy in Forest Lake, MN. I have been having a blast with this amazing opportunity but have unfortunately have been unable to post in a long time. Above I have posted some photographs of sculptures the 6th graders were working on the first couple weeks I was here. When I arrived they where in the process of gluing the wooded shapes together with wood glue. I awkwardly finished out the lesson mispronouncing "Oaxacan" the whole way through, haha. I thought the sculptures turned out nicely painted and patterned. Very bright and fun, however I wish there was an alternative to the wood glue. It takes so long to dry that the students could only glue one or two pieces on a class period. Made for a lot of misused class time! Any alternative suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I'd use hot glue. You'd have to do stations/partners, but 6th graders should be able to handle them just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these are so cute, and I love the patterns of Oaxacan carvings.

    Hot glue would work ok but I think it's a logistical problem sometimes. Elmers is good; just pour in a bowl and leave the cover off for little while to encourage thickening. Have the kids hold and count to 10 or 20 to start them sticking.

    I also like Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue or E-6000.

    ReplyDelete